On 12/04/2010 00:47, Richard Gaskin wrote:
Peter Alcibiades wrote:
Here are a couple links, the first being the redoubtable Caitlyn Martin, the
second Warren Woodford.  These guys are serious people and should be
listened to:

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/04/ubuntu-is-a-poor-standard-bear.html

The other is the case she does not mention, that of Warren Woodford of
Mepis who moved away a couple of years back

It makes no sense to 'standardize' on a distribution which is made the way Ubuntu is. By all means use it if that is what one likes. I have nothing against that. But this is not about what we like, its about what we use for standardization, and the whole concept of standardizing on something which is built new every six months out of someone else's experimental packages
makes no sense.

Both authors make some good points, but even Ms. Martin notes:

  To whatever part of the general non-geek public is even aware of
  Linux the names "Linux" and "Ubuntu" are all but interchangeable.

Markets are funny things.

Reminds me of a chap who came with his daughter to my school a couple of years ago and said "But how can those
computers work without Windows?"

Betamax was arguably a much better standard than VHS, and Mac arguably better than Windows. We saw how those worked out.

And so it is with Ubunutu: While its historical development paths may raise some questions, the bottom line is that Ubuntu, warts and all, is the leading distro today.

I didn't choose Ubuntu; the market chose it for me.

Yes, and an Operating System that loads from a ROM chip is probably better than one that loads from a ferro-magnetic lump!

I used to use Red Hat when I was starting out, then switched to SUSE for a while. I liked both of them well enough, but I simply don't have enough PCs lying around to install every major distro out there so I decided to adopt the one most folks were using.

For a long time that was difficult to determine and often in flux, but in recent years Ubuntu has emerged as dominant on the desktop, and not without reason: By focusing on the end-user experience, they've made an OS that just about anyone can use without a manual. That's a BIG leap forward in a community that had historically earned for itself a reputation of appealing only to geeks.

It's not my job to tell my customers which OS they should be using. My job is simply to deliver software products for the OS they already have.
I have tried that many times (but, hey, I have an abrasive personality) and more often than not got the metaphorical
equivalent of a bloody nose.

I don't personally care which distro any individual chooses, or whether they choose Mac, or Windows, or anything else. Diversity is good, it keeps competition healthy and maintains an efficient gene pool.

But for my products and those of my clients, we've focused on Ubuntu as our primary Linux target because that's where most of our customers are.

To the degree that they may favor a single distro in RunRev's offices, I suspect their thinking is similar. It simply isn't their choice to make, it's the market's.

This point is really the same as your earlier posting: why RunRev might be putting more energy into R&D for Mac and
Win rather than Linux: we all know what puts bread and cheese on the table.