On 16/04/2010 21:05, J. Landman Gay wrote:
Bernard Devlin wrote:

I think all Windows installations must be assumed to be toxic.

Yes, that's the assumption I use too. It's also the reason I'm so much in favor of running Windows in a virtual machine. In Parallels (and maybe other emulators too, I'm not sure,) you can set a sort of bookmark for the current state of the machine, and when you're done working you can revert to that state. That removes anything that's been installed on the virutal hard drive since the state was set.

So I run Windows virtually, keep no important data on it, use it only for testing Rev apps and creating installers, and never use it to for email or web browsing. I've got virus detection software installed but it has never identified any malware. Rev's direct internet access works fine and I don't mess with anything else internet-related. So far, so good, and I haven't had to revert to the saved state yet.

I run XP on a heap of old junk (Well; a COMPAQ Pentium 3, 256 MB RAM); headlessly - administered via my G4 Mac;
it has no internet connexion and is ONLY there for checking Windows builds.

Nevertheless I am already, after 3 months, getting endless error messages in the middle of the Desktop. I really
wonder whether it is worth the effort reinstalling!