Here are the AppleScripts I use, and the price is really good :-)
This one checks the file type & creator of a current file:
tell application "Finder"
        set tFile to choose file
        set tType to the file type of tFile
        set tCrea to the creator type of tFile
        display dialog tFile & return & tType & return & tCrea as string
end tell

And this one will make any changes:
tell application "Finder"
        set tFile to choose file
        set tType to the file type of tFile
        set tCrea to the creator type of tFile
        display dialog "Set file type to:" default answer tType
        set the file type of tFile to text returned of the result
        display dialog "Set creator type to:" default answer tCrea
        set the creator type of tFile to text returned of the result
end tell

have fun,
Sarah