I don't buy it.  I think that apple is frustrated that it can't build a vector
based video description language without infringing on adobe's patents.  I
think that apple has tried unsuccessfully to engage adobe in a joint project or
to buy the rights.  I think microsoft has as well.  This is a freezout.  A
hunger strike.  Apple would never piss off its customers without an absolute
need pressing them into this dangerous territory.  Apple needs to break adobe's
stubbornness.  This is a last resort move which will give them and ms legal
ammo in an antitrust battle should they have build their own patient busting
protocol.