Bob Sneidar wrote:
Yes, the primary difference between Hypercard and Revolution is that
in HC cards WERE your records.

And they can be in Rev too.

Similar data got added in fields on
many cards with the same "background". With Revolution, you have
access to use SQL databases, so cards become more like forms that
temporarily hold data for the user to work with. You script reading
from and writing to the SQL tables. Using that method, you can see
that there is not much use for backgrounds as such, except to repeat
elements in order to maintain some kind of consistent "look and
feel".

Right, that's the preferred approach for large data sets. On the other hand, HC-style card records work just fine in Rev. For someone coming in from HC, I often recommend doing it the comfortable way first. It's easy to change over to a database approach later, and the learning curve is much easier for HC refugees that way.

I have had several clients who just want their old HC stacks ported so they will run on modern computers. Most of them are desperate and don't want to spend a lot, and they don't want to learn a new layout. They've been using their stacks for 15 years or more and they like them. For those people I just fix the stacks to make them Rev-compatible -- sometimes even leaving in the old bitmap graphics if I have to. (I fight that. But one client had drawn them himself and didn't want them removed. The customer is the boss.)

The HC way isn't the most optimal approach for large data sets, but for anything under about 5,000 records it works. And the HC folks are usually happy with it, at least at first, until they learn the greater potential Rev has.