Peter,

What we do is turn PDFs into individual JPEGs and we've built a cool viewer that offers single and two page display, jump to any chapter, does a simple wipe on page turns, and even plays randomly chosen page turn sounds if you want, which strangely enhances the experience!

We also allow controlled printing, bypassing the print dialog to prevent "printing to PDF".

Cheers,

Josh