On 12/05/2010 15:08, Ian Wood wrote:
Did he buy an upgrade or a full install? If he just has an upgrade then it's s definite no-no.

Ian

On 12 May 2010, at 12:47, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

A friend of mine has just gone and bought a Windows 7 install
disk and is busy installing it on his expensive, bells-n-whistles
PC. He wants to give me his Vista install disk so that I can bung it on
a P4 for testing. As he is upgrading to Win 7 he doesn't feel that
this is a "wicking" thing to do.

Any bright ideas about the legality of his idea?

No; it is not an upgrade disk, and it is not an OEM that came with the machine.

However; he has told me that the disk will install a functioning system that will run for a month prior to registration, and that I could run it for a day just to do my testing and then blank the disk; presumably this is no worse than running a Demo program ????

As I really am not screamingly interested in Vista (or Windows in general) I am merely looking for a way to do about 3 hours testing of my software (a user has reported a problem; which, if it can be reduplicated, is a general RunRev bug) without, quite frankly, having to pay for an install disk. However, for various reasons, I am not overly keen on
breaking the law.

Another friend of mine offered me the loan of her laptop running Vista; but I really
don't want to run the risk of bu**ering up her install.

What I need to do is this:

Bung Vista on an old P4 1.7GHz, 512 MB RAM I have lurking under my bed; bung RunRev Studio 4 on it; run both the original stack and the standalone - ONCE, to ascertain if the problem is real or just a problem with this chap's individual install. Wipe the disk.

Time for all this (inc. OS install) about 120 minutes Max.

If the problem is real, there is nothing I can do about it and it has to be lobbed back to RunRev so that it can go on the list of bugfixes: which I very much hope is not the
case as they have a backlog going back for yonks.