Mark Wieder wrote:

Point taken. The fact that there needs to be an explanation at all,
though, and that it's something that comes up frequently on the list,
is an indicator that something needs work.

Perhaps what it's telling us is that we should take Steve Jobs' advice and stop making cross-platform apps. ;)

While people use the term "intuitive" for computing, little if anything about it is truly intuitive. Like operating a car, operating a computer must be learned; and making cars requires even more learning, as does making software. When making multi-platform software, the number of things you need to learn multiplies by the number of platforms you design for. That there's an explanation merely tells us we're making something.

On Mac and Win, the space required by the menu bar is almost the same. The difference is that the Mac has one common menu bar detached from the windows at the top of the monitor, and Windows has the menu bar attached to the window itself.

I can think of no solution for adding something to a window in a way that doesn't add it to the window.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World