Kee Nethery wrote:

> Is revServer an unreleased product? Or is it functionality in the
> enterprise edition that I can have IT install on some of our
> production servers?
>
> Are there docs on how to use it? Lynn's question asking for a CGI
> version said that it is an Apache module which is exactly what I
> want.

If you need an Apache module specifically, RevServer won't do what you need. I have yet to get a clear answer as to what exactly it is, but it's not an Apache module.

Behaviorally it's very similar to the very-capable-and-highly-underrated CGI engine you can use right now. Neither the CGI engine nor RevServer are stay-resident processes; both terminate when your script is done.

After reading Andre's comments here about FastCGI (which can be configured on some servers to work with the Rev CGI engine) I've become more fond of the "old-fashioned" way the CGI currently works. :) Having discrete processes keeps things clean, and persistence can be provided with a data store.

Both the RevServer engine at On-Rev.com and the Rev CGI engine will let you mix Rev statements and HTML. With the CGI you run your HTML template with your embedded function call placeholders through the engine's excellent merge function, and with On-Rev this is done automatically for you.

If you review the merge function in the dictionary I think you'll find it quite tempting to play with. It was introduced to xTalk in SuperCard, back when they had a server-side engine called Flamethrower. Its adoption in MetaCard/Rev offers the same syntax and benefits it was originally designed for, profoundly useful on both servers and the desktop.

The version of the merge function used in the On-Rev is a bit more flexible than the merge we have available to us in the engine we have now, but those differences are relatively minor, providing some helpful conveniences but very little that can't provide similar results through other means with the CGI engine.

The big benefit to On-Rev is the real-time debugging. If you're doing serious CGI work that can be a godsend.

But you may be surprised at how capable the little CGI engine is. Cookies, libURL, and of course all the beauty of chunk expressions -- all in your hands and installable on any server today.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World