Lynn Fredricks wrote:
I happen to like Javascript but, wow, you are so right. A lot of the trojans
out of the wild today take advantage of how insecure browsers are to deliver
payloads right through your browser. Sometimes your antivirus software will
catch it, othertimes not.

Reminds me of one of my favorite Raneys posts, on buffer overruns:

<http://www.mail-archive.com/metac...@lists.runrev.com/msg02659.html>

And this one:

<http://www.mail-archive.com/metac...@lists.runrev.com/msg02350.html>

Excerpts:

 ...you should keep in mind that the average cobbled-together
  MetaCard server is going to be safer, at least WRT to
  buffer-overrun security problems (the easiest to exploit
  and most dangerous kind), than virtually any current
  open-source server program.  This is obviously the case
  when compared with the FTP, HTTP, and BIND servers that
  are running on the majority of Internet hosts out there,
  all of which have multiple security holes like this, one
  of the buffer-overrun bugs in BIND (the DNS server) being
  the single most commonly exploited security hole in any
  server software.
  I certainly wouldn't rule out building or using MetaCard
  server software, even for protocols for which well-known
  (if buggy) open source software is widely available.
  While I don't see any big advantage to writing an FTP
  server in MetaCard, an HTTP server that executes CGI
  scripts is a different matter entirely and an area where
  a MetaCard server could be safer and feature-competitive
  with any of the alternatives.
  ...the ubiquity of buffer-overrun bugs in open source software
  rises to the level of criminal negligence.  There is just no
  excuse for this kind of sloppy programming, yet not a week
  goes by that yet another example of this kind of thing isn't
  found in one of the commonly used open-source packages.  I
  wouldn't blindly trust Microsoft software either, but at
  least the majority of the security holes in their products were
  put there deliberately to improve the usability of the products
  rather than as the result of poor security hygiene on the
  part of the developer.

  My advice is to not be afraid of this stuff.  Sure, you have
  to be careful, but you can hardly do any worse a job than those
  hacks who are writing the software that runs the Internet ;-)

:)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World