I got another update this morning from the team on the progress of the Rev engine for Linux, and this one's for Richmond:

<http://fourthworldlabs.com/rev/fontimprove.PNG>

With the screenshot Mark Waddingham noted:

   To be fair, the visual difference for roman text is mostly nil
   (or at least will be when I've fixed the slight difference in
   baselines that seems to have crept in).

   The linux engine now uses 'pango' to do all its text rendering
   and font selection/listing - this is the modern approach and
   means if you install fonts via GTK/Gnome/Fontconfig etc. you
   actually see them listed in Rev and will be used when requested.

   In addition, all the font fallback and such works correctly
   both for unicode text and all the config that distros have
   invested in 'fontconfig'. The latter, in particular, means you
   get sensible default fonts for most common typefaces for other
   platforms (for example, there is rarely actually a 'Helvetica'
   installed any more, but there is pretty much always Nimbus Sans
   which is metric and look compatible).

   I'm not sure what the performance impact of this might be yet
   - I'm hoping it might fix some of the field performance problems
   that seem to plague some linux distributions since various
   things are cached now which weren't before. More testing will
   be needed to see if this is indeed the case.

Kevin also noted that some progress has been made in diagnosing the cause of the printPaperOrientation issue, but that the solution is "not straightforward" so he doesn't have a fix in hand just yet and will try to squeeze one in within the couple of weeks.

Things are looking better each week for those of us enjoying Linux deployments. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World