The thing that scares me about your approach, is the (some software will not
operate correctly with the system attribute" disclaimer. I would be very
reticent to change any installations default system behavior if it might cause
problems for other software down the road.

Obviously, this is a generalization, and in your case may prove to be benign.

Bob