Providing feedback in this thread, some list members have expressed their appreciation for discussed image-processing approaches and scripts, along with the proposal to present such topics in greater detail in a RunRev newsletter article. Alejandro Tejada wrote:

"They should publish an extensive review
of your scripts and how you port Lua
scripts to Rev."

while Kevin Miller added to this without specifying a special topic

"if you might be
interested in doing a newsletter article then please drop me a line off
list".

As I am unsure what the focus of an article should be and because there is a wide range of possible topics for image processing, I will list some of such topics and present a proposal - as a primary option - for a possible (first) newsletter article on image-processing in Revolution. Of course, I will contact Kevin about this also off-list.

Concerning "Lua" in Revolution I see three options:

1. Rewriting my post of March 3 "Language comparisons: "Lua" - simpler and faster than RevTalk", which already discusses in some detail several syntax formats for image processing in Revolution and pointing out the crucial similarities and differences between RevTalk and Lua. This could be accompanied by more examples and a sample stack.

2. Focusing on Lua-to-RevTalk conversions with a sample stack containing about 25 Lua scripts ported to RevTalk and including some extra variants developed on the basis of these Lua scripts. Article and sample stack would allow side-by-side comparisons of Lua and RevTalk versions. The sample stack is almost ready to be released.

3. Focusing on using Lua embedded in Revolution. I am authorized to mention that we will soon have the possibility to run Lua scripts directly in Revolution as an outcome of a collaborative project. I consider this to be a huge step forward for image procession with Revolution. The power and enormous speed of Lua will join and enhance the potential of Revolution.

This would be my first option. We should ask the person mainly responsible for developing the Lua add-ons to write an introductory article on how to integrate Lua in Revolution and how to use the accompanying sample stacks and tutorials.

These Lua tools for Revolution will be released in the very near future, so please refrain from asking questions about this now.--

I will now list here a number of - not Lua related - aspects of image processing in Revolution that demonstrate that there is a wide variety of possible topics, each of which would deserve a separate newsletter article. Each of these topics could be accompanied by sample stacks - some of which are already available. I will just enumerate some possible topics without any comments:

Topics for a newsletter article

- Development of convolve-matrix filters in RevTalk
(From Chipp Walters to Mark Waddingham; 3x3 and 5x5 filters; hybrid filters 5x5 to 11x11; main categories and examples of convolve filters)

- Scripting basic photo tools in RevTalk
(Saturation, hues, gamma correction, sharpen, blur, dynamic range, negative image, grayscale, contrast, reducing colors, substituting colors etc.)

- The power of despeckle filters

- Reverse engineering Gimp filters (non-Lua filters): Dilute, erode. ripple, outline, photocopy, cartoon, pick etc.

- Mirrors and refractions -

- Different approaches to create "seamless tiles"

- Making use of color spaces (other than RGB):HSV, HSL XYZ, YUV, YIQ

- Image gradients and overlays

- Area- vs.single-pixel-oriented filters

- How to create kaleidoscope patterns

- Image borders and frames

- Noise and distortion

- The great potential of using masks in Revolution

- Combining images and selections of images

- The world of "outline" filters - convolve and other filters.

- The role of paintcompression in image processing

- Creating image art with fields, buttons, and char color.