On 10/28/10 11:52 AM, Monte Goulding wrote:
Is the server mounted? If so an alias may do the job.

Another option is to build a standalone that loads the stackfile off the
server. There are many ways to kill this cat.

Cheers
"In House" "LAN"  ??

I second Monte's motion on this one. I must have a dozen programs running in house that are deployed by just creating little splash screen standalones ..

I put the stack on a web site on the server, but no one actually views anything in a web browser. (well occasionally I pass off some resource to the web browser) Just to be clear for my own brain, I call the widgets that are deployed to client station "Launchers"

Our macho OS X Server is running apache....

I put the stand alone launcher on the web server, I keep all these on a single web page

"Rev Stacks"

with links to the launchers, one URL per standalone

[I tried a single launcher once, that downloaded an "index" stack for all other stacks, but it never worked well. People are so used to having a single "app" for each "thing" that now I issue a special splash screen for every new app...]

e.g.

Grapple_Launcher.app

has  a nice graphic on the main card  and this in the stack script

on preopenstack
   set the loc of this stack to the screenloc
   send "LaunchGrapple" to this stack in 1 seconds
end preopenstack

on LaunchGrapple
   go stack url "http://inHouse.domain.org/rev_stacks/grapple.rev";
end LaunchGrapple

By using the web server you avoid all the issues of mounting the server etc.

Now, disclaimer: most of my stacks are very light weight. After the launcher launches the mainstack, if he needs more resource from the server, then I'll run an apple script from inside the stack as needed and mount the main server and then call the "heavy" resources using the file system

e.g.

set the filename of player "Grapple Tutorial" to url ("file://Volumes/LanServer/WWW/inHouse.domain./Grapple" grapple.mov")

Note that even though we are not using a web browser, I'll maintain various resources in the WWW area, even though we are not pulling them via a web browser, but I *can* then if necessary, pass something off to the web browser...

this works great, all the resources are modular, there is nothing on the client station except a standalone with the above script. I can update and swap out resources on the server and every one is always up to date. It's all transparent to the users. They don't even realize that the app they are using is actually being call runtime from the server.