On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 07:05 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

From: Dan Shafer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue Jul 22, 2003  7:05:21  PM Pacific/Honolulu
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How to make an Unclickable Check Box

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 06:41 AM, Jan Schenkel suggested to Sannyasin:

Turn off the autoHilite of the checkbox, and leave the
script of the checkbox empty. Now it won't be hilited
unless you set its hilite from a script.

Pardon the intrusion, but it may be worth noting that an unclickable checkbox is a violation of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines and of general UI design rules about user expectations. I'd respectfully suggest some other way of indicating the user's connected state than a checkbox he can't click on or change. I guarantee you'll have frustrated and confused users.

No intrusion whatsoever... in fact, advice well taken... frankly, I have never even looked at Apple's HIG or any UI design guide... too busy... but now is the time as more and more we are developing tools for general public use... Do I need to purchase a book or what do you recommend as the best way to get up to speed.

A text label whose contents changes from CONNECTED to NOT CONNECTED would be as easy to design and code and be much more meaningful in the bargain.

Certainly easily done... i'll do that, thanks for the tip!

Just MHO.
Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery