John R. Brauer wrote:
Hello all,

I am a newbie. I am working on a project which will require that I store data in a database (a separate record for each client, and about six hundred fields per record). Each time it is used, it will need to generate a new record for that client (it is a program that will administer and score an exam of sorts) My questions:

a) which database would you suggest (I guess that Oracle, MySQL and Valentina are my options)?

b) is there an internal way of doing this instead of one of the above databases?

c) will the standalone app then incorporate the database functions, or will the enduser be required to have the database in question installed on their computer as well?

Sorry if this duplicates, I inadvertently used a wrong email address the first time, adn do not know if it will get through the moderator that way. Thank you much...

Sincerely,

John R. Brauer, Psy.D. Clinical Psychologist

Hi,

In about concurrency and write-mode accesses, PostgreSQL 7.xx (ACID compliant) and MySQL 4.xx are two of the best unexpensive db-engines you can use behind RR (use the Rev-DB library to connect them).

P.S.: MySQL 5.xx will be a great issue and the first full ACID compliant
ever done by MySQL AG, including most of the SAPDB engine features...

--
Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Serveurs d'applications et SGBDR (Web/PGI)
Penser et produire l'avantage compétitif