This is driving me barmy...can any kind soul here explain why this works:

on tryLoopWith
  put "a,b,c,d,e,f" into charList
  repeat with n = 1 to the number of items in charList
    put item n of charList into line n of newCharList
  end repeat
  put newCharList && "with"
end tryLoopWith

but this throws up a 'bad chunk expression" :

on tryLoopFor
  put "a,b,c,d,e,f" into charList
  repeat for each item n in charList
    put item n of charList into line n of newCharList
  end repeat
  put newCharList && "for"
end tryLoopFor

I haven't yet been able to make the 'repeat for each...' structure work at all, not even once, in any circumstance, in a year of trying it from time to time. I can find nothing in the electronic docs to help me. I am mystified.

TIA, Mark Smith