WA,

You offer an interesting suggestion. Thanks. Every card fld "Card Name" has data so I don't know what might be gained by examining each card then marking it. There aren't that many cards in each stack. With HC anyway the restriction is 32k characters in the IndexField which lists all the cards by name and ID. Rev has a higher fld limit so this restriction is lifted. On these newer computers speed of execution doesn't pose an issue. Even with adding in a "sort cards of stack" line it takes about 1/2 (or less) of a second to complete this script. I will try your "(option : sort lines of index1 by item 1 of each)", that might improve general UI performance.
Dale

wouter wrote:

Hi,
If the amount of cards is considerable then you can gain some time by changeing the script to:

on mouseUp
put empty into field "IndexField"
-- DON'T visit each card
mark cards where fld "Card Name" <> empty
repeat with x = 1 to the number of marked cds
put (field "Card Name") of marked cd i & ";" && the ID of marked cd i \
& return after index1
end repeat unmark all cds
go to card 2 -- go to card 2 "Index Card" -- If you were on cd 2 originally you can omit this line
sort index1 -- sort data within variable (option : sort lines of index1 by item 1 of each )
put index1 into field "IndexField" -- put data into Index Field
put number of chars in field "IndexField" into field "Characters"
put number of lines in field "indexfield" into field "Line Count"
unlock screen
end mouseUp

Have a nice day,
WA

On zaterdag, aug 23, 2003, at 18:01 Europe/Brussels, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote

Message: 12