Alex & Pierre

Thank you both for guiding the blind! You were both correct, I needed to enable the tcpip_socket option. However, despite several "pg_ctl reload" attempts, the running copy of PostgreSQL wouldn't listen on port 5432. In the end I rebooted my iMac (acting as a db server) and restarted a new session of PostgreSQL. this sorted it!

I can now connect using Rev 2.1 as well as using the admin tools I mentioned.

Thanks again.

Best regards

Peter

Make sure that pgsql is indeed running on port 5432. I could be wrong, but I think the default installation of pgsql runs with tcp/ip socket off, and only running a local unix domain socket. Opening the daemon on 5432 requires explicit configuration in postgresql.conf. see also pg_hba.conf.

You can try "telnet localhost 5432" to see if there is anything listening on that port and rule out whether it's a firewall issue or just nothing is listening on 5432.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com

Have an eye on your "../pgsql/data/postgresql.conf" file and do test in
the first lines of it by activing the TCP/IP connection and so :

 #       Connection Parameters
 #
 #tcpip_socket = false
 tcpip_socket = true

#ssl = false

 #max_connections = 32
 #superuser_reserved_connections = 2

 #port = 5432
 port = 5432

Bests Regards, Pierre -- Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de rentabilité"

-- Peter Reid Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK Tel: +44 (0)1509 268843 Fax: +44 (0)8700 527576 E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk _______________________________________________ use-revolution mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution