On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 02:50 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

I have a small sockets stack that listens on a UDP port (accept) and sends datagrams to that port on an IP address. If the address is broadcast, the behavior is not consistent among platforms tested. This applies whether the broadcast is general (255.255.255.255) or subnet specific (for example, 10.99.255.255)

If the local computer is included in the broadcast specification (which it always is in the general broadcast), the datagram is received on Windows XP and on Mac OS 9.2. But it is not on OS X.

To clarify, a broadcast from Mac OS 9.2 or Windows XP shows up on OS X and a broadcast from OS X shows up on those. So, OS X can send and receive broadcasts, but not to/from the same computer. (Well, my tests are limited: not from the same program on the same computer.)

Dar Scott