English-speaking, but using Australian formats:
[1] - yes, I get a valid date: 2004,6,1,2,0,0,3
[2] - Saturday is the last line of system weekDayNames although I have heard that this is not always the case in Australian systems.

But, you can always identify weekends using the last item of the dateItems structure. In the example above, the last item is 3, which means Tuesday. (Sunday = 1, Monday = 2 etc.)

Cheers,
Sarah