On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:30:36 -0500, "J. Landman Gay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Since the IDE doesn't allow one to have two or
 more stacks open with the same name, I can't just copy and paste objects
 and scripts from the corrupt version to a new file based on an earlier,
 non-corrupt backup.

You can open the corrupt stack and rename it. Then open a newer copy and it won't conflict. You don't even have to save the old copy; it only needs to be renamed in memory.

Well, the corrupt stack is really a file with a lot of stacks in it, and because it's corrupt, RR 2.0r2 (the only version that will open it at all) tends to go off into some kind of loop at the drop of a hat, so the suggested technique is likely to lead to a lot of tedious force-quit situations etc. I see the merit of your technique, but I would really like to make as few changes to the corrupt stack as is humanly possible, and just copy bits out of it hopefully leaving corruption behind.

I do think this inability to have two stacks in RAM each called 'myStack' or whatever is a weakness of RR. Really there should be more robust scope/naming rules, so that the name of every stack should IMO be in principle be in a domain defined by the name of the file it's in ('myStack' of 'myFile'). Then one could have old and new versions of an app in a development environment at the same time. Still, must work with what we actually have...

Thanks

Graham