Dar,

That did it! The following code create a file that was read as a UTF8 file by BBEdit:

on mouseUp
set useUnicode to true
put "/Users/trevordevore/Desktop/config.xml" into tPath
open file tPath for binary write
write uniDecode (bom() & the unicodeText of field 1, "UTF8") to file tPath
close file tPath
end mouseUp

function bom
  set the useUnicode to true
  return numToChar(abs(baseConvert("FEFF",16,10)))
end bom

Thanks!

--
Trevor DeVore