On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 05:05 AM, Dan Soneson wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am once again trying to get a voice recording application to work appropriately in an OSX standalone. I develop on a G4 dual 1.42 Ghz, Rev 2.02, OSX 10.2.6 and deploy on both 700Mzh G4 eMacs and 500Mhz G3 iBooks, same OS. In the development environment, everything works just fine. However, when I build a standalone and try to record through an attached microphone (plantronics Audio 90 with Griffin iMic), the recording tends to be truncated and jumbled up. In other words, if I were to say "1,2,3,4,5" I might get "3,4,2" as a result -- very strange. Also, I have noticed a tendency to limit the recording file to about 4 seconds total.

Several months ago I thought I had licked the problem by making absolutely sure the recorded file was located outside the application package. This workaround now seems to have no effect. The frustrating part is that we might occasionally get a perfectly normal recording, but the next time we try, we get the jumbled up results again. It just doesn't seem to be consistent.

We intend to deploy a recording application in our language lab, so that students may record their voices and the files can be saved so that instructors can hear the students' output. Occasionally, the program can be used for oral testing. However, if the recording is unstable at all, the program is useless.

I have checked the bugzilla database, but have been able to find anything regarding this problem there. Before I post it on bugzilla, I wonder if anyone out there has found a consistent solution to the problem.

I remember the problem existing when I first started using the recording features in MC. At the time I could not find a workaround and gave up. Was told by Scott that using the wrong compression settings could cause problems. I never looked deeper into it as it was not needed at the time. Bugzilla it!

Best regards,
Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com