this is exactly what Compilit! gave to Hypercard -- and allowed one to create externals to do anything...faster..in Hypertalk code.

Tom Pittman, where are you now?

It occurs to me that, for what I want to accomplish, perhaps my focus should be more on "compiler directives" or symbol tables than a generalized include capability. In essence, what I want is the ability to declare symbol names & values to the compiler. If support for data structures and tool box names were included in such symbol tables, we would be one step closer to supporting direct access to system calls via Transcript.
--

Rob Cozens