On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 01:45 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

If anyone knows a good secure way of managing and displaying media
assets within Revolution please let me know.

Who do you want to prevent from accessing the media? Any end user, or only
unlicensed users? If you only want to thwart unlicensed users, storing the
media in some kind of password protected file (database, stack, etc) is
probably a good way to go.

Yes ... one of the points I was making is that it's easy enough to store the files in a protected way, but when you want to actually use them in Revolution you have to unprotect them. Eg If you have a 50Mb QuickTime movie you'll need to write it out to a file on disk then set the filename of a player control to it.

Otherwise, you should keep in mind that once something is displayed on
screen, it can be copied via screen capture tools. Utilities exist to
capture the screen over time (ie movies/animation), as well as static
images. Even DVD copy protection can be circumvented, so you'll be hard
pressed to find a completely secure method of asset delivery. Obscuring the
asset location/s and filenames are probably reasonable options for you,
barring the more costly custom/external options.

Yes this is true, however I'm less concerned with this aspect as images will be degraded in quality. I guess the point here is that all security measures you take have an impact on performance and usability in various ways.

I feel that supporting writing to image and movie objects in Revolution (and having the data so written securely cached for display) would provide a simple way of securing media delivery and avoid the issues with writing out to files.

R.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director