On Nov 11, 2003, at 1:17 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
Who needs Pro?  Unless you're bulding something that integrates with
features specific to the Pro edition, for Rev testing Home works great.

Doesn't XP-Home lack something important like ethernet drivers? I can't remember what. Anyways I'm still happy with Windows 2000.

Besides, in the non-Apple world $500 buys a whole computer, OS and all.

If you're interested in Linux development it gets even better: you can pick
up a computer with Lindows pre-installed at WalMart for under $200.

Cool!

Things are gonna get weird as Linux gets usable. Expect radical change in
the coming years.

You probably know this Richard but: Linux on the desktop has been in the news a lot lately - in a bad way. Red Had is abandoning the Home/SOHO user and going Enterprise only. And the free Redhat Linux is now called "Fedora" and has different distribution than the commercial Redhat. Redhat's CEO in an interview actually recommended MS Windows for Home users (instead of Lindows or Gentoo or something) . Meanwhile Novell bought Suse Linux. The claim to support Home/SOHO Linux but Novell after all is a business server company. The only major player claiming to support Desktop Linux now is IBM. There are lots of smaller Home/SOHO distributions of course. Lindows could now be considered a major player, I guess.

While everyone talks about Linux becoming the Desktop equalizer/radicalizer, meanwhile I am happy with OS X because Apple has done what people have been wanting for 30 years: deliver UNIX with an appealing, easy to use GUI. :-)

Thankfully, with Rev we can ride the wave no matter which way the currents
shift. Rev has liberated us beyond whatever changes may affect any single
OS vendor. It is its own meta-OS, the most capable of virtual machines....

Halleluhyah ! (sp?)

Alex Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | Mindlube Software | <http://mindlube.com>