Richard,

Well said. I enjoyed reading the article as well. In fact, it echos something I've been talking about for awhile. I-Tunes is the 'BETAMAX' to the rest of the online Music 'VHS'. And those who invest in the 'beta' technology will end up not being able to use the scores of other hardware, software and media retail/online outlets for their music needs. While I applaud Apple for innovating the finest current hardware/software model for music distribution,IMHO, it's only a matter of a couple of years before they become an also-ran in this market-- unless they can provide some sort of standard which can be shared by other players, including DELL, HP, SONY, etc.. Too bad Apple isn't as innovative in business as they are in technology.

Kind of reminds me of how great the original Mac was. I purchased one the first week and drug it to work with me at TI then Compaq (early days) *because* it was a product which allowed me to do industrial design on the computer-- something no other computer could do at the time. I stayed with it until Win95, when it became obvious that MS would soon have 90% of the features and 300% of the software -- at only 70% of the cost. Now, folks can do just about anything on either Mac or PC (and soon Linux). Computers are commodities. Choice is personal preference, not necessarily one of productivity and/or capability.... And for each report that says MacOS is easier, there's another one saying XP more efficient and Linux cheaper;-)

I'm writing this on a Mac, too (I really like their Email client - seems better to me than Outlook)
See you in San Francisco next week!

-Chipp

"Hating Macs"? On the contrary. In fact, I'm writing this on a Mac, as I
have since 1987.