Chris,

Here are 12 reasons that I like/prefer N-Tier (client-web server/app server-database) architecture:

1. The projects I work on almost always have web browsers and thin client apps going against the data.

2. With a traditional N-Tier archictecture in place, either a browser or my Rev app can talk to the web server and PHP (or a Rev CGI) which talks to the database.

3. I make one PHP post and my data comes back to me in ticks formated such that it describes itself with tags. Now I can put it on my Rev window with a repeat loop.

4. Stateless thin client is easy and fast to deploy. Double click the file, enter a URL (the first time) and you're off to the races. They can easily update themselves as well.

5. I compete against well known and accepted web technologies with Revolution. If I can use the same back end technology as IE, Mozilla or Java, then the client is more willing to take a chance with me and Revolution.

6. In web development circles it's considered "hard coding" to make SQL calls from a client application. There is a clear market preference for N-Tier here in Texas at the more technologically advanced companies and institutions.

7. It's very easy to find web hosting services that already have Apache, PHP and MySQL all set up.

8. I pay $7.95 a month for HUNDREDS of MBs and LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP). No muss no fuss. Secure, backed up, etc.

9. The ubiquity of these types of web hosting services also makes it easy to have a development, text and production environment for less then $24 a month!

10. With N-Tier expertise, I can add myself on to a large web project easily, because I can talk to web servers.

11. I believe that a lot of application work can be done with web pages, but I also believe that admin modules where repetitive data entry is required are best done as standalone thin clients made with Rev.

12. Biggest reason: I'm a free-lance developer who has to sell himself. N-Tier expertise keeps my hourly rate and demand for my services high. I do this for money and fun. More money + more fun = good. (Or as the Frankenstein monster would say: food good; fire bad!)

Hopefully, all that answers at least some of your questions. Let me know if you have more.

Best,

Jerry