You might consider changing your server protocol to not use CRLF as the delimiter (I'm assuming you wrote the server portion too?). In HTTP for example, the web server either sends the image size in the http header, or if that's missing, it assumes the image is complete when the connection closes.

You might consider having two data types, text and binary, and when you send text it's CRLF delimited, and when it's binary, you send along the size.

-- Frank