So I'm still not convinced that it must be in a handler, or if so then the documentation is misleading.

Yours,
Chris
On Feb 20, 2004, at 7:20 PM, Phil Davis wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Mitchell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "How to use Revolution" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 4:55 PM
Subject: simple local variable question

Howdy,

I'm declaring some local variables at the top of a card script that I
need to use in several handlers... here is a simplified recipe question
that will help me understand why I'm not able to access the values I'm
assigning to them:

--card script begins here

local rotAngle
put 20 into rotAngle

on mouseUp
    answer rotAngle
end mouseUp

--

My question is, why does this not put up an answer dialog with "20" in
it? the dialog that comes up is empty.

It comes up empty because nothing can ever cause 'rotAngle' to be set. Any
executable code not inside a handler can never be executed.

Phil Davis

Thanks, Chris