save this stack as compress(url "file:Macintosh HD/Desktop Folder/MyStackFile2.rev")

(This produces gibberish for the file name on my HD.)

I think you want something more like:

put compress(this stack) into url "file:Macintosh HD/Desktop Folder/MyStackFile2.rev.gz"

And then what? Are you assuming the user (the person downloading this file from the web) is running Run Rev and that the Run Rev application has the instructions for decompressing the downloaded file and then opening it? And what does that code look like? Anything like:

uncompress(url "file:??????)

And are we talking about zip files or gzip files?

Rev's compression is gzip.

To open the above, you could do:

put uncompress(url "file:Macintosh HD/Desktop Folder/MyStackFile2.rev.gz") into url "file:Macintosh HD/Desktop Folder/MyStackFile2.rev"

OR open it directly without saving to disk:

go stack uncompress(url "file:Macintosh HD/Desktop Folder/MyStackFile2.rev.gz")

HTH,
Brian