On 3/5/04 7:10 PM, Kevin wrote:

Why isn't there a global property to disable the graphic subsystem?

Better yet a handler similar to "onStartup" is called only when the
display/GUI is missing allowing developers to take action (run in
console mode or GUI).  Many frameworks support this feature by
creating GUI components as containers only when the DISPLAY/GUI is
unavailable.  With a few tweaks RR could have one engine to support
both CGI/CONSOLE and DISPLA/X/GUI systems and simplify their
maintenance.

Please correct me if I am incorrect or I have missed some API which
allows this (in a stand-alone).

This is exactly how it works. If the GUI is absent, you can run the engine via text-based scripts. This is the recommended (and only) way to use the engine as a CGI on servers. Many of us on this list have already implemented web-based CGIs; I have a handful of them running on my server right now.

The only message the engine sends, in that case, is a "startup" message. Your text script must include an "on startup" handler that will catch this message.

See: <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/downloads/IntroRevCGIs.zip>

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]