For this particular application, what about just splitting the lexicon into several stacks, alphabetically? Encyclopedia style.
For example, to lookup "revolution" and "database":

start using stack "da-de"
doSomeLookup "database"
stop using stack "da-de"
start using stack "ra-rg"
doSomeLookup "revolution"
stop using stack "ra-rg"

The trick being of course that you don't want to load your entire database into memory if your database doesn't fit in memory- and you can dynamically load portions at a time using start/stop using.

HTH
Brian

For example, a real world application that would interest us: create an on-line lexicon of all the words in all the books we have published by Himalayan Academy Publications with definitions, references "see also" links etc. I have few options: either build 26 html pages, one for each letter of the alphabet... then, use HTDIG to index those pages and .... well, it's just too painful and unmaintainable... delegate this tedious work to some poor soul to work on for a week or two... if the book editors say "oh gee, we updated these words..." then suddenly 20 man hours of work becomes 21 hours of work... on the other hand doing an XML dump of each books glossary from InDesign and parsing that into a stack is as easy as sweet lassie (water, yogurt, honey, touch of salt and lime juice, two cubes of ice ;-) put the stack on the server and then what... start using it and sink the ship.? OK. so, scratch my head.