Hi Chris,
The encoding just reads the file as binary data, then uses base64encode. If you did the reverse, remembering to save as a binfile, I reckon it should work no matter what the file type.

If you wanted to use Stuffit Expander instead, I have a technique I use sometimes for Apple Mail when attachments don't display properly, but just come through in their encoded form. I select the encoded section (from one boundary marker to the next), copy and paste it into a text editor, then save the file as "whatever.hqx". If you then double-click, Stuffit Expander will decode it correctly.

Cheers,
Sarah