An explanation always helps...thanks

On Thursday, April 8, 2004, at 05:59 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

sez [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
I am experimenting with the following and was hoping someone can tell
me why it doesn't work...

I have a field nOribit with 3 lines

yt1
yt2
yt3

on mouseUp
put empty into tSolar
repeat for each line L in field "nOrbit"
put L & cr after tSolar
end repeat
delete last char of tSolar

put "1,2,3" into yt1
put "4,5,6,7" into yt2
put "9,8,7" into yt3

put tSolar -- this gives yt1,yt2,yt3 and not the values

if I do the following

put yt1 & cr & yt2 & cr & yt3 into tSolar

put tSolar -- this gives the values

Yes, I know that an array would work but I'm trying to understand if
there is a way for the above to work.
Marttin Baxter's solution looks like it should work, but just in case
you're curious, here's why you had the problem in the first place: In your first
attempt, Rev believes that "yt1" & etc are just generic character strings that
you're pouring into the variable tSolar; Rev has no clue that those strings
are supposed to be the names of variables. Granted, you later use those strings
*as* variable names, but that later act does not alter the contents of tSolar.
In your second attempt, Rev knows right from the start that you're playing
with variables, thus you get the result you want.
Hope this helps...