However, prompted by your advice that the problem is due to OS X's hidden
".app" extension on application bundles, and remembering that bundles are
actually folders, I opened the bundle and found the actual application
file I was looking for. I then made a note of all the folders surrounding
it (remembering to add ".app" for the bundle folder) and used this to
create my launch command:

launch  "/Users/jonathan/Documents/Test.txt" with \
"/Application Folders/BBEdit 7.0/BBEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/BBEdit"
Does "/Application Folders/BBEdit 7.0/BBEdit.app" work?
I have tried "/Applications/TextEdit.app" and it works fine.

And this is what happened:
If BBEdit wasn't running, the document would open, as expected.
However, if I had already launched BBEdit from the Finder, the document
would open, but BEHIND Revolution!
Strangely, if I had already launched BBEdit from Rev, I would get an error
"Process already open" and nothing would happen.
Most surprising of all (to me)... if I then quit BBEdit and tried the
command again, I would STILL get the message "Process already open"!
It seems like Rev doesn't bother checking again with the System, it just
assumes.

I suppose a workaround could be to get Rev to quit the app first, then
launch it (again), but...
1. What command would I use for that? "Kill"? It appears that this only
works for processes opened with the "open process" command.
You can does this one in Transcript. Rev seems to keep a list of processes that it started and doesn't let go even if the program has finished. If the program is still running, this command doesn't actually stop it, it just clears Rev's brain enough to allow you to use it again.

 if the openProcesses contains appPath then
    kill process appPath
  end if
where appPath is the full location of your app as discussed above.

2. If I managed to do it (with AppleScript?) I could have the problem of
an unsaved document bringing up a dialog box, possibly behind Rev's
windows, that would bring things to a halt.
Since "kill process" doesn't actually stop the application, this is not a problem.

Cheers,
Sarah