On Wednesday, May 12, 2004, at 07:53 AM, Klaus Major wrote:

this line will exit ANY handler immediately!
So there is no "finally" processed... ;-)

From the docs:

exit to top

Halts the current handler and all pending handlers.
Use the exit to top control structure to stop executing the current handler and
suppress pending messages.
Is this a bug (Tuviah, Scott) ?
Although i am not Tuviah or Scott, i don't think this is a bug ;-)

I'm not either. (Well, I'm not "the" Scott.)

I think the behavior of 'exit to top' in a 'try' is a separate issue to what happens to a non-normal exit to a catch section in general.

Consider this:

on mouseUp
  try
    exit to top
  catch e
  finally
    answer "Finally"
  end try
end mouseUp

On my system, Rev 2.2, OS X 10.2.8, I get to the 'finally'. It might not work that way on Jan's.

I think we have a difference of opinion on what should happen here. I think the 'finally' should be executed. I understand your position to be that it should not be.

Whatever it is, it should be documented.

Dar Scott