Can you show us the handler that empties a line...

Jeremy,

I believe from your description of the problem (no matter what line is emptied the new text goes into line 10) that your logic is deleting the line instead of emptying it.

If one starts with a 10-line variable, "delete line x of myVariable" leaves a 9-line variable with former lines x+1 to 10 now numbered x to 9.

"put empty into line x of myVariable" leaves a 10-line variable with line x empty.

If you're doing the former instead of the later, that is the source of your problem.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company