On Jul 9, 2004, at 3:43 PM, Phil Davis wrote:

The docs suggest that on OSX/Unix I should be able to find device names in
the "/dev/tty" file. That file is empty on my machine - the device isn't
listed there, maybe? because it doesn't have a custom driver.

Try again!

Look for /dev/tty*. For example the built-in modem is shown as /dev/tty.modem.

Look for /dev/cu*.  Those are the one you will use.

I was going to suggest something else and based on what you are saying, it may work out. Many devices have (sometimes in addition to other interfaces) a interface that looks like a serial device.

Sometimes driverNames() will miss devices.  Try this:

-- Ken Ray and Dar Scott did this
function deviceNames
local theNames="", ioregOutput, skipLines, temp
local IOTTYDevice, IODialinDevice, IOCalloutDevice
set the hideConsoleWindows to true
put shell("ioreg -n IOSerialBSDClient") into ioregOutput
repeat forever
put lineOffset("IOSerialBSDCLient",ioregOutput) into skipLines
if skipLines is zero then return thenames
delete line 1 to skipLines of ioregOutput
-- Get all the data between the braces
put char(offset("{",ioregOutput)) to (offset("}",ioregOutput)) of ioregOutput into temp
get matchText(temp,"\"IOTTYDevice\" = \"(.*?)\"",IOTTYDevice)
if it is not true then next repeat
get matchText(temp,"\"IODialinDevice\" = \"(.*?)\"",IODialinDevice)
if it is not true then next repeat
get matchText(temp,"\"IOCalloutDevice\" = \"(.*?)\"",IOCalloutDevice)
if it is not true then next repeat
put IOTTYDevice,IODialinDevice,IOCalloutDevice & lineFeed after theNames
end repeat
end deviceNames

For example, this will find my internal modem.

Dar Scott