On Jul 11, 2004, at 5:16 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

LINEAR LISTS
------------

The simple linear lists in Director are straightforward - compare:

Director:
  set myList = ["Troy","Ken","Richard"]
  put getAt(myList, 2)
  --> Ken

Or in "modern dot-lingo" - put myList[2]

More complex linear lists compare this way:

Director:
  set myList = [["Troy","Ken","Richard"],["Kevin","Jan","Judy"]]
  put getAt(myList,2)
  --> ["Kevin","Jan","Judy"]
  put getAt(getAt(myList,2),1)
  --> Kevin

again, Director's syntax for lists is more refined than that - put myList[2][1]

Anyway, now I'm rambling... I hope this has been helpful to both you and
anyone else paying attention. ;-)

Very awesome dissertation. While Director's techniques for array handling are probably the only reason that I perceive it as lacking in Transcript, this has certainly helped me to understand Rev's under-the-hood approach to them. Adding CRs, and doing splits somehow seems a bit less than straightforward, as you must then do mental translation from string lines, etc. in order to develop appropriate paths to data. Plus, every example you've shown is based on knowing where the data is in the first place - it gets even more complex when one must search within the array for data, and then do a relational path to associated data, no? At some point, the advantages to multi-dimensional arrays would seem to fall by the wayside, overshadowed by array handling complexity.

I DO hope that more advanced array handling gets included in a Rev update (and soon.) In Director, it is second nature. In Rev, I'm not sure that I'll use them in their current state, beyond simple flat arrays. I plan to look at Mark and Dar's solutions to see how they actually fill the gap. I think deep arrays and list handling have become too intrinsic to my coding techniques to give up on them altogether.

Aside from all that, THANK YOU.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.