At 17:49 20/07/2004 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> at a specified position
>> but I can't find how to find the current position.

[snip]

More precisely, Rev doesn't keep track of such things *for* you. So if you
want to do it, you have to do it yourself, "by hand". Use a separate
variable, or custom property, or whatever, to keep track of wherever you are in the
file you're reading, and adjust the value of that variable (or whatever) every
time you read from the file.
Hmmm... If you made that variable (or whatever) multi-line, with each line
consisting of two items (those being (a) a filepath, and (b) the numerical
position within the file whose path that is), you could write a file-reading
handler which keeps track of the position(s) within an arbitrarily large number
of files at once...

It can be done - at some inconvenience and with some risk that it will be wrong. And if you forget, in just one place, and use a file function directly instead of using the handler (or forget to adjust the variable), you have a very tricky bug to find. So that's a fragile or "brittle" solution.

It's true that "every other computer language known to man provides a built-in function to do this" isn't necessarily a reason why it MUST be built-in to Transcript - but I think it's a good reason why it SHOULD be.

(btw - I'm sure you, or I, can find another language that doesn't have it - but it's there in 99% of all known household languages)

As always, you use the best tool for the job in hand. So I implemented my little "csv file indexer" application in another language instead of Transcript - it had the necessary function there at no cost and no effort. I'd have preferred to use Transcript, because I'm trying to learn it; but my aim is to get the functionality the user needs in the best time / effort / risk trade-off, not be a language evangelist.

-- Alex.
---