At 18:02 06/08/2004 +0200, MisterX wrote:

However, spending dire marketing money on the ADC is IMOHO a big
waste. What is 200000 users when you can have double that with
a single post in Slashdot.org (/.) alone! Oh, I almost forgot, it's
free and revisitable... However RunRev has not made much talk there
and there's a catchup to do if you want the book to find even more
success...

Well, I found RunRev through a link from /. (it might have been indirect - a /. link to someone's weblog talking about different scripting languages, and it mentioned Revolution - don't remember now).

Separately, in RunRev's case, I dont know how much /. banner ads
cost but surely their success have to worth the money more than
anywhere else... Question is how does RR want to market itself and
to whom... I started with Macs, dont get me wrong, but PC's are not
to be undermined - at 9x% of the market...

I did find the Mac-orientation of Revolution a bit off-putting at first. Hypercard (and Applescript, and QT and ...) are mentioned so often, and so much discussion includes Mac mentions, that I did wonder initially just how "cross-platform" Rev would be - or whether it was really 80% a Mac application, with a token ability to run on other platforms. The apparent focus on Mac/Apple (conferences, Macworld announcements, etc.) could easily "scare" Windows (or Unix/Linux) users. I think it would be a good idea for some "balancing" if possible.

[ Occasionally, I still think there's too much Mac focus - but I'll keep that argument for another day when my skin is feeling thicker :- ]

-- Alex.