Le 16 août 04, à 16:38, Frank D. Engel, Jr. a écrit :

Question: These records would typically be over 5000 animals with possibly 20 to 30 records each. Would I use a SQL database, XML, Arrays, or cards to store the data? (sorry, I've still a lot to learn, obviously!!!)

Rev binded to Valentina (local DB) and PostgreSQL (remote DB)...

You could also use PostgreSQL locally and save yourself some licensing costs.

Why didn't i think at this. Tied, probably ;-! Thanks, Frank for pointing us in this direction ;)

100 times true, even for a newbie under MacOS X in getting the cool Marc Liyanage's installer at

<http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosxpostgresql>

or under Windows in using the PostgreSQL Beta 8.0 and the windows dedicated tools coming with it at

<http://www.postgresql.org> and <http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/>

I'm using PG all the time under both Linux and MacOS X (can help) but havn't begin to test and work with the replicator for yet (can't help).

I would advise you NOT to store the data internally to the application, since you will probably want to use standalones when distributing to the various locations (otherwise each location would need a Rev license), and the data would be lost when closing the program if the data is stored internally in a standalone.

Same...

I would suggest (as an example) that you set up a local database at each location (PostgreSQL would be fine, and it is free) which would store the information locally, and use a central server at some other location to pool the data for all of the different locations together for the central staff. Include a feature in the program you distribute to the different locations to upload any modifications to the central server when a connection is present.

Same again ;)

There are of course other ways to do this, but this would be one example you might consider.

Signup at www.doteasy.com

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours