Thanks Paul-- But I can't seem to make that work either. I put this handler in the stack script of my main stack, (which is also the topStack):

on testQ
  put the selectedText into field "card-name" of the current card
  set the name of the current card to the selectedText

end testQ

It works when called from a button in the topStack. But calling the testQ handler from a button on the palette does not seem to work.
I tried this script in a button on the palette:

on mouseUp

  set the defaultStack to the topStack
  send mouseUp to button "tester" of current card
end mouseUp

But, it doesn't work either.

Functionally, I can get it to do everything I want. But I will have one button on my main stack, and all the other buttons on the palette... kind of clunkly.

Rich