On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I can't believe I'm having a problem with something as simple as
"closeField"!

I have a field which works like the Address bar of Internet Explorer. When
you start typing into it, it tries to finish the word or phrase, according
to a list in a separate field (which will eventually be hidden). If you
end up typing a NEW word or phrase, you are asked if you would like this
added to the list, for next time. I got it to work fine in HyperCard, but
I'm stumped by the strange behaviour of "closeField".

Hi Jonathan,

Finally I managed to take a look at your sample stack; sorry for the delay.

After some experimenting I changed three things in the script of fld "auto-complete":

- 1. I changed the "closefield" handler to a "exitfield"

This is contrary to what you would expect from the docs

(closefield = the field's content has changed
exitfield = the contents of the field have not changed),

but it seems to work.

- 2. I intercepted the "Cancel" message of the modal dialog which now sets a variable ("ControlVar") to false - to avoid the modal dialog to be repeated again and again

- 3. I declared a local var in the first line of the field script and set "ControlVar" to true at the beginning of the "keydown" handler

This seems to solve your immediate problems as you stated them. There are probably a number possibilities to refine and enhance your auto-complete routines.

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org>