On Oct 18, 2004, at 7:53 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Ken Norris wrote:
From: Richard Gaskin
I think GarageBand (and dozens of other similar specialized packages)
shows that tightly synchronized sound is not impossible.  In not sure
where the notion of "impossible" started in this thread.

The question for RunRev is how important is it to provide the tools for
making a GarageBand while we still have annoyances like unusual
selection handle behaviors for line objects or the inability to reliably
use "answer file" on OS X (not to mention that GarageBand already exists
and is very well done).
I might be very interested in this thread if I knew for sure what it's about, as I'm interested in developing music UI's for enableware,
IOW, GarageBand is great for what it does, but a severely disabled person couldn't use it alone. That's where totally custom manipulation of sound, graphical interfaces, and game/controller sprockets come into play.

Sounds very useful. When it comes to more specialized uses for QT, the answer is one word: Trevor. ;)

Trevor, I know you have nothing but time on your hands -- got anything in the hopper for managing this sort of thing?

I haven't looked at synching multiple sounds (isn't that was this started out as ;-) that much as I haven't needed it for projects I have worked on. Really this should be addressed outside of QuickTime in the future by the RunRev folks.

Depending on your needs I think you could create a handler in the EQT (as Scott Rossi affectionately refers to it) external that took a couple of different audio filenames as parameters and created a temporary movie that contained all of them. Then all of the audio files would share the same timeline and starting and stopping the movie would start everything in synch. I don't remember exactly what the original poster needed but this might be a solution.

-- Trevor DeVore Blue Mango Multimedia [EMAIL PROTECTED]