Hi all,

Recently, Frank Leahy wrote:

Having read about the various problems with metal windows in 2.2 and
2.5 I decided to see if I couldn't fake it with a metal
backgroundPattern.  I tweaked a pattern I found on the web, and it
looks pretty good, with no obvious lines between the tiles.  If anyone
wants to use it let me know and I'll post it.  Using it is as easy as
typing "set the backgroundPattern of this stack to theId" (where theId
is the id of the pattern after you've imported it into your stack).

-- Frank

p.s. It isn't perfect, because there really needs to be a
semi-transparent image that gets stretched over the top of the gif
(providing a bit of shadowing), but I found that stretching the png
image caused RunRev to crash my machine (that's right, it actually
crashed OSX!) so I gave up having it look perfect...but it's pretty
close as is, so I'm happy.

You might try using a large image that doesn't stretch but rather changes
position relative to the width of the stack. Not identical to real
stretching but maybe a bit closer to the metal look...

there is was, apparently :-( this little stack on Chipp's website called "MacMetalLook"
which works without crashing OS X here (10.3.6) and it is using a stretched PNG image...?

And that looks almost like the real thing :-)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design