At 23:01 09/12/2004 -0800, Mark Wieder wrote:

All-

In the last few days I've started to realize how many ways comments
and non-comments that look like comments can be embedded into lines of
script code. In trying to get to what's actually code I've tried
getting the offset of a "--" string, which has complications if it is
quoted. So I tried looking for quoted text and seeing if the comment
was after quoted text - this also presents problems. We can have:

#comment
text --comment
text "more text -- still more"
text "more text" --comment
text "more text" text "-- text"
text "more text" text "still more" --comment
(did I leave any out)

text # comment and variants of that.

I came across an interesting combination of tokens and words: tokens
ignore comments, words don't make that distinction. However, the token
delimiter isn't necessarily where I want it to be:

put the tokens of "put" && quote & "something" & quote && "--comment"
results in
put "something
without the trailing quote.

That's not quite what I see - I get just
put something
i.e. without either quote; that makes sense because once the line is tokenized, the quotes are unnecessary.

But using tokens as counters and words to get the text works. Bizarre
but true (AFAIKT).

Sorry Mark, it won't work in all cases. In particular, any case where there are more tokens than words.

put a+b into c

has 6 tokens
  put
  +
  into

but only 4 words
  put
  a+b
  into

I don't have any suggestions, yet .... but it's an intriguing question, so I'll use it as an excuse to avoid gardening this afternoon :-)

-- Alex.