Thanks for the comments. Well, the problem with reading the whole file at once is that some of these files can indeed be huge -- several megabytes. Here's what I'm doing... The text file is made up of many individual emails concatenated end-to-end. Since the emails may have originated from different ISP accounts, they may use different delimeters, i.e., ">From " or "X-Message-Info: " or "Return-Path: <" or "From [EMAIL PROTECTED]". I have written a simple program that will separate the huge file back into individual text files, one for each email. It works well if the email is from a single account (with its unique delimeter). However if, say, Apple's mail.app is pulling mail from multiple accounts, I can't "read from" any of those delimeters. Can I do the regex routine (something I don't quite yet understand... but will soon!) on a file I've not wholly read? Thanks again for your great help. -- Randy